In our day it is becoming popular to refer to a human fetus as “tissue.” Is this a correct way of thinking or is a human fetus a human being? Many people would agree that there is something wrong about taking the life of an infant five minutes before it is born. Yet they believe that, earlier in the growth cycle, its life can be snuffed out because it is “tissue.” The Bible presents a very different perspective:
- Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee. (Jeremiah 1:5)
- For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother’s womb… Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them. (Psalm 139:13, 16)
- Thine hands have made me and fashioned me together round about…Thou hast clothed me with skin and flesh, and hast fenced me with bones and sinews?…Thou hast granted me life. (Job 10:8-12)
According to these verses, a person becomes a human being as soon as he or she is conceived.
Psalm 127:3 tells us that children are a gift from God. God even calls our children His own and is grieved whenever children are murdered. He says, “Moreover thou hast taken thy sons and thy daughters, whom thou hast borne unto me, and these hast thou sacrificed unto them to be devoured … thou hast slain my children.” (Ezekiel 16:20,21)
In the Old Testament, capital punishment was required for anyone who caused serious injury to an unborn child. This shows us how serious this matter is to God.
Finally, abortion is wrong because it is a strong person taking advantage of a weak and helpless person. Many scriptures show God’s concern for the poor, weak, and helpless. God instructs us to reflect His nature and character by showing the same concern for others.
- Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.; Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked. (Psalm 82:3-4)
- If thou forbear to deliver them that are drawn unto death, and those that are ready to be slain; If thou sayest, Behold, we knew it not; doth not he that pondereth the heart consider it? and he that keepeth thy soul, doth not he know it? and shall not he render to every man according to his works? (Proverbs 24:11-12)
Have you aborted a child?
God is a Redeemer. He can forgive. God can keep bad experiences from going to waste. He can use our past sins to help others if we allow Him to change us and use us for His glory. Consider these verses:
- If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)
- Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. (Psalm 51:9-10)
- And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten . . . (Joel 2:25)
Meditate on these Bible verses that illustrate God’s love for you.
- Thy mercy, O LORD, is in the heavens; and thy faithfulness reacheth unto the clouds. (Psalm 36:5)
- How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings. (Psalm 36:7)
- But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God: I trust in the mercy of God for ever and ever. (Psalm 52:8)
- But thou, O Lord, art a God full of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth. (Psalm 86:15)
- For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. (Jeremiah 29:11)